Tourism is an industry whose enjoyment is part of the lifestyle of contemporary citizens. This activity strongly incorporates current environmentally friendly trends.
Aragón is the first Spanish autonomous community to have a tourism sustainability strategy, a document that aims to place the Aragonese people at the forefront in the supply of sustainable tourism and lead the transformation of the sector. This is an initial plan that will subsequently be shared with the local authorities and the Aragonese tourism business fabric.
Tourism is an industry whose enjoyment is part of the lifestyle of contemporary citizens. This activity strongly incorporates current environmentally friendly trends. Aragón as a tourist destination must not remain alien, it must act today to contribute to the adaptation of its tourism system to different parameters.
When you opt for a tourism development model linked to sustainability the result is:
1. Tourism with a sustainable approach has a minimal environmental impact, since optimal use of environmental resources is made, helping to conserve natural resources and biological diversity;
2. Respect for the socio-cultural authenticity of local communities by preserving their cultural and architectural assets, as well as their traditional values, and contributing to intercultural understanding and tolerance;
3. Local employment generation, both directly and indirectly;
4. Stimulation of the development of tourism enterprises (travel agencies, transport, accommodation, food, recreation, etc.);
5. Promotion and evaluation of local, regional and national cultural events (dances, crafts, gastronomy...).
Therefore, the plan has a dual objective and, as a consequence, also a double horizon. On one hand, to face the challenges of the tourism sector in the medium and long term, promoting the pillars of sustainability and on the other hand, to become aware of the great opportunity for the Aragonese community to position themselves as referents of Sustainable Tourism in Spain.
The municipality of Graus, one of the Spanish pilot municipalities for the implementation of sustainable tourism within the Sustowns project and located in the province of Huesca, will also benefit from the programme. In general, Its potential offer is based on four main axes:
1. Natural and sporting resources
2. Cultural and heritage resources
3. Gastronomic resources
4. Social activities
In addition, the Aragonese Federation of Municipalities, Comarcas and Provinces (FAMCP), partner of the SusTowns Interreg project, has become part of the Smart Tourist Destinations Network. Among the work carried out by the DTI Network during the first six months of 2021, mention should be made of the creation of an introductory course on the DTI model for destination managers, as well as the preparation of various thematic guides,
Find more information here or https://www.turismodearagon.com/aragon/aragon-turismo-sostenible/